Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Kirisun S780 dPMR Range Test... 2 Miles

So I decided to do a bit of a range test with the Kirisun S780 today and was pleasantly surprised giving the reputation these radios have for poor range especially in digital or dPMR mode.


When talking about a range test radio to radio with the stock antennas then yes, the digital side of things is extremely poor. Digital reaches around 1/2 a mile in an urban area if you're lucky compared to analogue where they perform just as well as a Baofeng UV-5R.

I plugged the receiving radio into my Diamond X-50 colinear antenna which is on the roof of the house. The transmitting antenna is a cheap £20 magmount colinear on the car. I recorded my transmissions at 0.5, 1, 1.5 and 2 miles line of sight from home. They performed extremely well with no packet loss. At the 2 mile mark they started to drop out a little bit but I have no doubt I would have gotten a bit further out of them. Landscape between RX and TX radios was an urban built up area.


Below is a video I knocked together of the range test:


Thanks for reading!

73's, Lewis M3HHY.

Manchester, UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment